|Director of Finance||
Mar 21, 2019🔗👁️ 49 49 Views
🏢 Dark Heart Nursery 📍 Oakland, CA
💰 DOE 🗓️ Full-time 🏷️ Executive 📛 No license required
About our company
Since 2007, Dark Heart Nursery has specialized in cultivating high quality clones for growers across California.
Our years of experience allow us to bring you consistently premium clones from both popular and emerging genetic lines that will perform well in a variety of settings. We take pride in our work and continually adapt our process and selection to meet the diverse needs of growers large and small.
What Makes Dark Heart Clones Different?
There are two main reasons Dark Heart clones are different: they are “hardened off,” and they are substantially larger than other clones you might find at a dispensary – in side-by-side testing, an average of 20% larger. This benefits growers because the starts are ready for high intensity lighting right away and can be given full strength nutrients immediately. We use Pioneer Nutrients at 1200ppm.
Bigger starts produce better plants because they have more developed foliage and roots. The leaves are like the “power stations” of the plant. Through the photosynthetic process, they allow a plant to convert light into energy that it can use to grow. Having larger leaves is like having a larger solar array – the plant is able to collect more energy and grow faster.
Great roots also help a plant grow quickly.Roots collect water and mineral nutrients from soil and fertilizer. Most clones have fairly small root systems compared to their foliage. Because a plant will always strive to achieve a balance between its root system and foliage, clones will often have a “lag time” when first planted while the plant is focusing its energy on growing roots. During this period, the plant may show few signs of growth for several days.
Dark Heart clones reduce this lag period because the roots are already quite well established and allow the plant to grow vigorously. You will see strong growth right from the start.
Director of Finance is an executive level position primarily responsible for all Finance and Accounting operations.
As an executive-level position the Director of Finance is additionally required to collaborate with other executive staff on top level business projects and priorities. The director is expected to be a “public face” and champion of the company, especially to investors, recruits, regulators, elected officials, and business partners.
Dark Heart Industries is a dynamic fast-growing company; as such the Director of Finance will be expected to wear many hats and operate in functional areas and at levels that might not ordinarily be expected of a similar position elsewhere.
Essential Functions & Responsibilities: (including but not limited too)
- Manage all aspects of the accounting and finance operations;
- Manage the timely close each month and the issuance of monthly, quarterly, and annual financial statements;
- Report on monthly Budget to Actual variances by department;
- Review and refine existing accounting policies and procedures. Implement new systems to improve efficiency and timely reporting. Creating actionable intelligence for managers;
- Manage annual tax returns preparation with outside CPA firm;
- Manage creation of financial statements and operations reports according to GAAP standards, with an eye on attention to detail while maintaining a big picture perspective;
- Develop and Analyze product cost systems;
- Design structure of financial reporting to enable accurate consolidated parent financial statements fora complex business structure;
- Recruit and manage front-line bookkeeping staff;
- Review accounting out-sourcing options and onboard provider to save cost on accounting functions;
- Manage existing banking relationships and develop new relationships in the complex cannabis banking environment;
Business Planning and Forecasting
- Provide business analysis, forecasting and financial planning;
- Manage annual strategic planning and budgeting process with each department manager with an eye for process improvements;
- Oversee all F & A vendor relationships;
- Forecast cash;
- Develop project and proforma financials to support growth initiatives and financing activities;
- Assist the CEO on investor relations, fundraising and reporting;
- Advise on fundraising structure and strategy;
- Assist in financing company activities by generating finance leads and cultivating professional network that can be looked to for the finance leads;
- Participate in prospective and current investor meetings to build investor confidence in the organization;
- Act as finance lead in company-wide Microsoft Dynamics NAV ERP deployment;
- Configure company-wide controls in new ERP;
Controlling and Auditing
- Implement and monitor controls to ensure compliance with tax laws across many jurisdictions;
- Implement and monitor controls to ensure compliance with state cannabis regulatory framework;
- Prepare company for audit and engage outside auditor;
- Working with management team to identify risks and insurance requirements, work with insurance brokers/companies to acquire appropriate insurance policies;
- Lead periodic corporate strategy activities conriuting valuable to the identification and selection of strategic corporate priorities;
- Participate in cannabis industry and other professional events, such as trade shows, conferences, training seminars, charitiabl events, etc. Develop professional network and seek opportunities for recruitment and business growth.
- Promote the public image of the company by acting as an ambassador. Provide enthusiastic and professional face; especially embodying the company’s core values of: justice, learning and collaboration.
- Seek out opportunities to develop the company’s public image by engaging in interviews, speaking opportunities, guest columns, etc.;
- Work in and/or lead teams as needed to help execute special projects to take advantage of opportunities as they emerge;
Work in and/or lead teams as needed to help execute special projects to take advantage of opportunities as they emerge;
Job Requirements & Qualifications
- Bachelor's Degree in Accounting or Finance required.
- Master’s Degree in Accounting or Finance preferred.
- CPA, CFA, or similar license required
Knowledge Requirements (licenses, programs, or certifications):
- Understanding of U.S. GAAP as it applies to a manufacturing environment
- Business Acumen
- Communication Proficiency;
- Problem Solving/Analysis;
- Project Management;
- Strategic Thinking;
- Excellent Computer Skills
- Excellent MS Office
- Expert Excel (pivot tables, lookups, etc. VBA preferred)
- Basic databases
- Expert level Quickbooks
- Strong Microsoft Dynamics NAV
- Proven track record of providing a strategic direction for a growing finance and accounting department
- Experience with Concur (or similar software) expense and invoice systems preferred.
- 5 years plus managing complex cash management and AIP
- 5 plus years supervising accounting staff.
- 5 plus years of managerial and cost accounting experience
- Experience with a smaller organization wearing many hats.
- Ag or Manufacturing experience strongly preferred
- Detailed oriented
- Good communicator
- Discretion a must
- Other Information
Special Information (Travel required, on-call schedule, etc)
- Long Hours
- Some Weekends