May 29, 2019🔗👁️ 88 88 Views
🏢 Harborside 📍 Salinas, CA
💰 $15 an hour 🗓️ Full-time 🏷️ Cultivation 📛 No license required
About our company
Often referred to as “America’s Salad Bowl,” the Salinas Valley is responsible for over 70% of the country’s lettuce crop. From the 1950s through the 1980s, the valley was also known as the leading producer of ornamental flowers until its farms fell victim to globalization. The farms were unable to compete with imported flowers from South America where labor costs are lower and environmental laws more lenient. Soon nearly every greenhouse in Salinas was shuttered and thousands of jobs were lost.
Today, a new breed of flower is flourishing in the Salinas Valley, and it’s revitalizing the farms and the economy. With reforms to state law, Harborside is bringing vacant greenhouses to life while creating full-time jobs for the agricultural workers who call Monterey County home. On 47 acres of prime Salinas soil, Harborside is busy refurbishing five existing greenhouses and installing four new state-of-the-art Venlo glass greenhouses. Upon their completion, Harborside Farms will have the precise control over the plants' environment fulfilling our vision (and mission) of producing organic, sun grown Clean Cannabis at both scale and a fair price.
We provide a competitive wage, medical, dental and vision insurance, an employer-matched 401k program, an Employee Assistance Program, FSA/Commuter Benefits, and paid time off to qualified staff member.
The Cultivation Technician is responsible for maintaining the high quality of lived and harvested product while paying close attention to detail during the cultivation process. Ensuring quality cannabis leaves the cultivation facility is the most important aspect of this role. The cultivator tasks may include mother plant maintenance, cloning, propagation, cleaning pots, filling pots with soil, transplanting plants at different growth stages, spacing plants on benches and plugging in drip irrigation stakes, plant movement from vegetation to flowering, de-leafing, pruning, trellising, and harvesting.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES: (This list is not intended to be all inclusive)
- Clone, clean/sanitize pots, fill pots with soil and transplant plants at different growth stages to prepared them for the flowering stage.
- Top, defoliate, trellis and prune plants accurately and thoroughly in a timely manner to meet production standards
- Roll-out and removal shade cloth as to our production schedule to ensure plant maintenance standards are continuing.
- Identify and sperate fan leaves stems and sugar leaves when defoliating flower and only remove according to the weekly production cycle.
- Maintains canopy; analyze the crop to determine if it’s being watered properly; spreads branches out to allow light and air flow to penetrate and adjust trellis to support branches ensuring the plant is growing according to the schedule and yield is being maintained.
- Move plants from the vegetation to stage into designated flowering bays, spaces the pots according to the number of pots per bench, ensures irrigation stakes and emitters are placed correctly to ensure all plants are receiving adequate amounts of water.
- Assists the irrigator in identifying watering issues by flagging the plant for easy identification. Incumbent plugs/unplugs irrigation stakes to ensure appropriate water feeding is being provided to each plant.
- Assist in the identification of compromised plants by flagging specific plants and notifying the team lead.
- Weights waste by specific bench and/or strain, dumps waste into red waste barrels, and updates waste tracking sheet.
- Harvests product; defoliates, hangs and organizes product by strain and batch.
- Must be able to adapt to various strains, styles and types of cannabis being cultivated; adjusting techniques to maintain a steady pace and quality.
- The employee must exhibit personal hygiene and follow the health guidelines set forth by the company and state.
- Maintains and upkeeps of all equipment, tools, supplies and products throughout the work shift to make certain department is clean when customers, management, or regulatory agencies walk the property.
OTHER FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES: (Knowledge, Skills and Abilities)
- Ability to be flexible and work in various sectors of the department as needed an/or requested by their direct supervisor; this may include but is not limited to, helping cultivation staff with small tasks, cleaning and/or moving supplies and equipment and/or helping other departments or working at other locations as needed
- Use of independent judgment in regard to product processing, keeping quality, projections and goals in mind
- Ability to evaluate and adapt to new processing methods, must meet or exceed established production goals, and/or modify technique/procedures.
- Employee must be able to identify various problems with any strain/product and communicate with direct supervisors as necessary
- Other duties as assigned
PERFORMANCE REQUIREMENTS: (Knowledge, Skills and Abilities)
- Must have a basic understanding of cannabis laws, rules and regulations set forth by the state and local authorities.
- Fundamental knowledge, as well as the ability to be taught and guided in areas related to the cultivation process.
- Skill in analyzing potential problems with a plant or the product being cultivated; “coded product”
- Shows self-motivation/innovation and the ability to work well with all staff members, vendors, customers, as well as to work well independently.
- Ability to use initiative and independent judgment appropriately while not overstepping chain of command.
- Help create a proactive and positive environment; a positive attitude and self-motivation to help produce high quality manicured product, while meeting and/or exceeding personal and/or company goals.
- Ability to work with, help, guide, challenge and motivate other processing team members to create a cohesive unit.
GENERAL PERFORMANCE REQUIREMENTS
- Acts in a manner reflective of the Company culture of high moral standards, Innovation and continuous evolution, trust in team, continuous improvement, and sustainable relationships
- Communicates, interacts, and works effectively with others; receptive to feedback and coaching; voices concern in a constructive manner
- Follow all safety protocols and policies. Demonstrates commitment to safety first; communicates safety concerns; promotes a safe work environment based on established safety standards and training
- Provide excellent service; present a professional image in appearance, actions and words
- Demonstrate ownership, accountability, initiative and quality of work
- Be a positive role model and demonstrate ethical behavior. Build positive team relationships throughout your department and the rest of the organization
- Work scheduled shifts and show up on time and ready to work; record all time worked accurately, promptly, and honestly
- Understand and practice company values. Demonstrate ethical behavior and be a role model for the Company experience
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to perform grasping, lifting, walking, standing, some bending/crouching, stooping, stretching, talking, hearing, seeing and repetitive motions
- Must be able to stand for extended periods of time while maintaining focus.
- Must be able to detect product issues, such as spider mite, powdery mildew, and/or botrytis.
- Occasionally ascends/descends a ladder to stock or bring product down from storage or racks and maintain cultivation process.
- Must be able to lift, carry, push, pull and balance up to 50 pounds (100 pounds with assistance) and must be able to do so with extreme care and caution when working with plants and product.
- Work is generally performed in a fast-paced cannabis grow location
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Work is performed inside greenhouse facilities exposed to temperatures ranging above a constant 75°F.
- Work is subject to weather conditions, including rain and extreme hot or cold temperatures.
- May require working rotating shifts with varied hours/day, including evenings, weekends, holidays, and special events.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
- High school diploma, GED graduate.
- Previous agricultural/warehouse/manufacturing/laborer experience a plus.
- Must be 21 years old per state regulations and pass a criminal background check
Harborside is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity. We recruit, employ, train, compensate and promote without regard to race, color, age, sex, ancestry, marital status, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, veteran status, present or past history of mental disability, genetic information or any other classification protected by state or federal law. EOE.